Book review on how to master composition the Ian Roberts way.

Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting by Ian Roberts



Starting this week off  with a twist,  a short (yet serious enough) book review.

This book has brought me so much sharing is a must. 

This is quite simply The BOOK that changed my approach to composition.

The book that brought me up a whole new level as an artist able to understand composition.


A definite reference and "forever book" for any artist looking to acquire more knowledge and take the right steps in getting there.

The one element I particularly enjoy is the layout: carefully thought through and user-friendly. This adds heaps to the enjoyment of learning something that can be down right boring. Roberts keeps all the elements he wants us to discover flowing smoothly and effortlessly on well written, illustrated and printed pages.

This edition also comes with a cd. A great wee bonus to help highlight and clarify the content of the manuscript by visually illustrating all of the essentials explained.

Since reading Ian Robert's book, I find myself frequently referring back to it, finding inspiration, finding new answers.

Just in the same keen way Katherine Tyrell indirectly recommended this read to me on her blog http://makingamark.blogspot.com , I am adding my own support and enthusiasm.

Most definately highly recommended.

Comments

Grahame Butler said…
Hi Sheona, thanks for your comments on my blog, to answer your question in one word, ''No'' my first love is still graphite, but I just wanted to try something else and see how it worked out, to be honest I can't wait to get back to the graphite pencils. I have to finish the chimp drawing and one of an Elephant and then they will be back out for some work.
Karen Thumm said…
I have Ian Roberts' two CD set on composition and love it so much that I bought this book. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's every bit as good as you say. The CDs are also excellent!
Unknown said…
Graham: I am glad to hear you are sticking on to the graphite journey. It's a rough ride but so worth it.
Karen hello and welcome to Black on Grey on White. I find the combination of the CD and his book brilliant. The one complements the other by adding value to each other (if that makes senses?):))

Popular posts from this blog

Frederic Edwin Church THE 19th Century American landscape artist.

Mathieu Kessels: le Deluge.

Rien Poortvliet, Dutch artist and illustrator well worth remembering.

Rembrandt's drawings and sketches: powerful strokes.

Grey as in grey stallion