Canine commission: start of second Jack Russell




After reaching a bit of standstill on Monday, I carried on by starting with the eye on the second Jack Russell . Basti is much darker, has slightly bigger and darker eyes as well as a straight ear.
For the eye I sketched it out with a 2B, drew the pupil in using a 5B and I went from there. When drawing eyes I find it very important to keep picturing them in my mind (how I remember them)as opposed to what I see in the reference photograph. It keeps them real. This true for every feature but just a tad more so for eyes: they make or break a portrait!
The pencil used for the darker areas was my clutch filled with Cretacolor 3B. I only let go of it in order to pick up my 2B to draw the darker shading of the tongue.
At the end of this phase I have probably clocked up another 12 hours (give or take a few minutes!)

The final stretch is just around the corner...will try and get it posted for the week-end.

Thanks for watching,
p.s: questions and queries are of course very welcome, I realise I may not be too clear sometimes...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frederic Edwin Church THE 19th Century American landscape artist.

Grey as in grey stallion

Rien Poortvliet, Dutch artist and illustrator well worth remembering.

Rembrandt's drawings and sketches: powerful strokes.

Wilma the French Bulldog