Just a few words from a flattered pencil artist.

Yep!
I am flattered.
Flattered that someone in a time of great sorrow would thing of turn to my work for help. Today I have just been asked to draw a dog who sadly died of cancer 2 days ago. This is the second order this Christmas season when someone has asked me, within days of loosing their companion, to draw a portrait in their memory. I must admit, being asked to portray deceased pets and individuals happens quite often but never within a couple of days of the subjects death. I feel very humbled that someone should feel that one of my drawings will be a source of comfort and maybe help in the mourning process.
I also feel very pressured (in a good way!) to do my utmost to bring the portrait to life. The degree of difficulty is also higher as I am not able to meet and observe my subject.
All in all, this type of portrait is a major challenge and, I believe, what this business is all about: illustrating an unforgetable memory.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frederic Edwin Church THE 19th Century American landscape artist.

Grey as in grey stallion

Rien Poortvliet, Dutch artist and illustrator well worth remembering.

Rembrandt's drawings and sketches: powerful strokes.

Wilma the French Bulldog