Search This Blog

Thursday, 28 March 2013

Short Drawing Tip #2 - Warm-up

Warm-up your drawing hand inside and out!
Sounds weird?

Over the last few years I have started to feel the flexibility leave my nibble fingers.
The result of 20 plus years of heavy carrying, pulling, lumbering and shovelling I donated to equine maintenance.

Two years ago, I wrote this post Hot mugs and sketched circles  in which I explain the benefits of holding a hot mug of water for as long as possible letting the heat penetrate as deeply as possible (outside warm-up) and how I then follow-up by scribbling in quick succession a series of mad circles swooping them in all directions (inside warm-up).

Actually, the post gains a wee bit more depth and explains how Renoir battled with arthritis ... ( if you have a minute you really should have a read or re-read: it's still amazes me how he (Renoir) overcomes crippling pain to produce such beauty.)

Today, I have added another step  to my routine and that is to scrunch (10-20 times) a miniature rugby ball (gets the blood flowing nicely).







Tip #2
Warm up your hand, arm, shoulder, body before starting a drawing session.
This really makes getting into a flow and finding a good rhythm that much easier. May sound mad but the result on paper has proved it to be well worth it!


p.s: if you missed tip #1(Paper Choice)  no problemo here's the link

5 comments:

susi said...

Brilliant stuff. Thank you :) (My scrunch-ball is a small Earth. Helps to get on top of things :) )

Studio at the Farm said...

Thank you, Sheona. That is very good advice. I am outside caring for horses in all weather, too, and my hands really dislike the cold.

Em Parkinson said...

Great tip again....I never do that but will from now on!

Sheona Hamilton-Grant said...

Susi: must admit the rugby ball is also used in times of frustration and stress a s well;)
Studio at the Farm: I hear you the cold just goes right though and really makes my hands very clumsy.
Em: thank you!. I'm sure you'll feel a difference.

Sheona Hamilton-Grant said...

Susi: must admit the rugby ball is also used in times of frustration and stress a s well;)
Studio at the Farm: I hear you the cold just goes right though and really makes my hands very clumsy.
Em: thank you!. I'm sure you'll feel a difference.